Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Winter Soup

SPLIT PEA & CARROT SOUP

Good  Morning 

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY HOLIDAYS

 I hope your all ready for Christmas. I finally for once finished early with my shopping, it was pretty easy with my kids this year. They didn't ask for much, just the one expensive gift. I am looking forward to spending a few days with my family with no interruptions, just some fun time laughing & enjoying some good food.

I thought I would share my Split Pea Soup with you because it is so easy to make. Soup has become a favorite in our house for many years. It's hearty, easy, tasty and lots of left overs. My husband is in heaven when he gets to take some to work the next day,

We had some guest stay at the B&B last night, what a fun idea. A young couple getting away for there 10th Wedding Anniversary, they left there 3 kids home with grandparents for a night of dining & romance. The house is full of  candles lit, Christmas decorations and music playing and the smell of pine. 


RECIPE

1 large bag of Split Peas ( rinsed)
1 ham hock
3 large carrots
1 large onion
1 box of Chicken Stock l( low sodium & organic)
salt & pepper

Start with a large stock pot, or crock pot. Add a 1/2 gallon of water with a pinch of salt. Rinse your peas in the sink, then add to your water. Cook on slow for about 1hour or until soft.

While your waiting slice your carrots (1/2 inch in thickness), and onions and saute in a pan with some Olive Oil for about 10 minutes.

Then add your ham hock to your soup with the carrots & onion and chicken stock. If you want your soup to be really thick, just add 1/2 the chicken stock. Let simmer on the stove for another hour with the lid on. If you cooking in your crock pot it will take about 5 hours.
Salt to taste.

I made some of my own croutons to add some garlic flavor.

I hope this season truly brings you joy & peace within.

Cheers!!  Susan 







No comments:

Post a Comment