Total Pageviews

Monday, March 21, 2011

How To Make Vanilla Extract

Ok...it's time to visit the Liqueur store.  We are going to make Homemade Vanilla Extract.

You are probably asking me why make your own....well if you have ever purchased a tiny bottle of the stuff you know you can spend at least ten dollars or more for some good grade vanilla extract.

Well why not make your own....all you need is a handful of things to get you going.

First lets start with the Vanilla Bean.  I wanted to use the darkest full of flavor beans...I found out that Madagascar will you give you the best results for that.  I found the brand I wanted at Whole Foods. 

You have two choices, buy them individually or 2 to a package.  Also to go along with the recipe you will need a good bottle of Vodka or Rum....80 proof.   I used Vodka.

The ratio is 3 vanilla beans to a cup of Vodka.  You can measure out how much you want for yourself.

So lets get started!!!!

I am sure you have a mason jar up in your cupboard. Then collect your vanilla beans, vodka or rum.  
Yes...it is that easy.   

Start with taking your vanilla beans and using a very sharp knife, cut down the center of the beans leaving about 1/2 inch section at the top uncut.   Stick your vanilla beans in the jar and fill with your liqueur. 

 Close the lid, and make sure it is on tight.   Find a dark place in your kitchen and store it up to 2 months.   

Every now and then you will want to shake the bottle up.   I thought I would share day 3 with you...as you can see it already started to turn a light color just after a few days.   Just think what it will look like after your 2 months.
If you find Tahitian Beans..there flavor is like a vanilla-fig or fruity flavor.It's your extract so use what you want;

 Can I say I am very excited about making  my own Vanilla Extract.  I hope this inspires you to try making your own...just think what your friends will think:)  

When I finish the process if you would like a sample I would love to give you a bottle.

If you have been creative in the kitchen or have a tip please share with us.  I would love to hear from you.

Enjoy Susan
                                                                                            
                 



                                                                          
                                                                            

                           

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh what a cool idea. I have to try this!

    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Welcome Patrish, thanks for taking a look. I'm so glad your giving the idea a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! thanks for the instructions, found you through

    http://houseofdough.blogspot.com/

    Will have to give this a try....:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Angela, thanks for sharing and becoming a follower:)

    ReplyDelete