Total Pageviews

Monday, January 24, 2011

HARVEST TOMATO SOUP

Happy Monday..


Today I thought I would share a recipe that I love.  This soup sounded good from the moment I woke up. I  also thought  that a good grilled cheese sandwich or turkey sandwich would go well with this pot of  harvest tomato soup...today I went with a turkey sandwich.


I love to hit the local Farmers Market here in Newberg to buy local produce, but unfortunately they are closed for the winter, so I decided to use some canned tomatoes instead...since I had those in my pantry.


I made this soup and decided to share with you on my blog. If your looking for a great dinner idea that is simple and taste good I would recommend this one.
                                                                                  
                                                                                      


 I made this soup often for The Picnic Basket Restaurant.   It became one of our weekly specials.  I liked pairing it with our gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches which included...3cheeses, pesto and a couple of slices of tomatoes.


RECIPE


4T unsalted butter


2T olive oil


1 medium onion


1 medium carrot 


salt & pepper


splash of red wine vinegar


1/4 c flour


3 T tomato paste


1 dried bay leaf


2 cans of low chicken stock


2 cans of whole peeled tomato with juice


1/2 c cream


Start with using a large sauce pan melt butter over medium heat.  Add oil, carrot and onion with salt and pepper.  Cook until the onion is translucent and the carrots are soft, about 8 minutes. Add the splash of of red wine vinegar.


Turn your heat down to low and add the flour, stir. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.


Then you want to add the chicken stock and bay leaf.


At this point you want to add the tomatoes and juices to the pot.  Bring it to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.


Remove from heat.  Use a emulsion blender, puree your soup in the pot until you have reached your desired consistency. You can also let the soup cool and then use your blender.   Then add the cream and stir.     To garnish add some Parmesan Cheese


Note: you can freeze this soup in a zip lock bag,or plastic container. 











                                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment